On 2020-05-06 11:24, Lumir Balhar wrote:
I've took a look and the new guidelines look good to me.

The only thing I am afraid of is that there is a lot of magic behind new macros. Previously, macros were a way how to use standard Python commands like "python3 setup.py build" without memorizing them and without a fear that you forget an recommended/standard/important command-line option.

The problem is that "setup.py" is not really the standard any more. It only works with packages that use setuptools. Currently that's most of them, but maintainers of setuptools are very unhappy with the monopoly.

But now, the macros are much more complex and newcomers might not understand what is behind them. Moreover, given the fact that some of them are MUST, we might be too strict there. It is, of course, a matter of taste, but what if I simply prefer to list all my runtime dependencies manually to have a comprehensive list which also includes all the dependencies outside Python world?

How do you ensure that list stays in sync with upstream?

I mean, sometimes I like to implement the latest possibilities and macros to test them and see how they can help me and sometimes I like to use the old way, write everything explicitly/manually and don't use automation.

Everything should be written explicitly, but in setup.py (or wherever the build backend looks for this info). Why do you want to duplicate it in the spec?
Do you have any concrete use cases? "Sometimes" is hard to reason about.

Are there any specific MUSTs you would change to SHOULDs?