On 26. 10. 22 18:41, Maxwell G wrote:
On Wed Oct 26, 2022 at 12:41 +0200, Lumír Balhar wrote:
Since Python 2.0 (1994), Python provided a useful tool pathfix.py that
we use in Python RPM macros for fixing shebangs of Python modules and
some RPM packages use it as well directly in their specfiles for similar
purposes. The script will no longer be part of CPython source code and
python3-devel RPM package. Because we think it's useful, we have decided
to create a new upstream project for it
(https://github.com/fedora-python/pathfix) on Github and include it in
the python3-rpm-macros package. The change means the script will move
from /usr/bin/pathfix.py to /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/pathfix.py.

Why does it need to be moved to python-rpm-macros and a private
location? Can it be put in a separate package and kept in its existing
location in /usr/bin? Just installing the script straight into /usr/bin
(i.e. don't make it a proper Python distribution) and running the
current unittest-based tests shouldn't pose too much of a bootstrap
problem.

We don't want to maintain this script for our users forever, we just want to maintain the macro.

But if there is a huge pushback, we can introduce a compatibility shim in the original location that emits deprecation warnings.

--
Miro Hrončok