On 23. 11. 22 9:12, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 22. 11. 22 18:30, Miro Hrončok wrote:
On 21. 11. 22 11:01, Petr Viktorin wrote:
And since the Python slowdown comes from a single weird function, I think that Fedora should ignore the Python benchmarks when evaluating the distro default -- and if Fedora switches to no-omit-frame-pointer, Python 3.11 should be an exception (to be re-evaluated for 3.12).

Do I interpret correctly?

If (and only if) Fedora switches to -fno-omit-frame-pointer, python3.11 (and possibly older Pythons) will explicitly use -fomit-frame-pointer instead (aka opt-out).

Yes. If the change allows software to opt out (e.g. if it's slowed down too much), then, based on the benchmarks, Python 3.11 should do that.

python3.11 has opted out.

I've also prepared pull requests for python3.{6..10} to do the same.

I don't intent to touch Python 2.7 unless I have to.

No idea how this affects PyPys, so keeping them untouched as well.

python3.12 will do the same for now.

Or not, if that would help testing. I don't think the speed of the preview Python matters that much.

python3.12 has not opted out.

--
Miro Hrončok