On 16. 05. 23 16:32, Sandro wrote:
On 16-05-2023 16:04, Petr Viktorin wrote:
Did I misunderstand/misinterpret the guidelines? The review is currently stalled due to the PyPI parity issue.

Should I approach PyPI folks myself and ask them to block vkbasalt-cli for me? Any kind of guidance is much appreciated.

Hi! Sorry for the silence.

It seems weird to ask PyPI admins to block a project that has working code, so what I would do is upload the project on PyPI, and tell the author that I'm happy to hand it over to him.
Do you want me to do it?

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll be able to do that myself. I published on PyPI before.

Thank you. Happy to help if you run into a snag.

Should the guidelines be clarified? I read the PyPI parity paragraph several times. While it feels weird reserving a name for an existing, yet unpublished package, it feels equally, if not more, weird to publish someone else's package without their explicit consent.

Fedora has packages that don't make any sense on PyPI. Perhaps the best example is RPM bindings, which are built as part of RPM and don't work unless you have the corresponding version of RPM installed.
That's the use case for reserving the name.

IMO, if the author doesn't publish on PyPI (yet), putting the package there is no different than putting it in Fedora without their consent. And you probably didn't think twice about that :)

I'll proceed with it all the same. Without the package landing in Fedora, Bottles will be broken forever. And who likes to spill a nice drink? ;-)

-- Sandro