On 16Aug2016 1006, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
Question is: are we in a hurry? Has somebody too little time to wait for
the "Right Thing" to happen?

Not really in a hurry. It's just that I decided to attack a few of the encoding issues on Windows and this was one of them.

Ideally I'd want to get the change in for 3.6.0b1 so there's plenty of testing time. But we've been waiting many years for this already so I guess a few more won't hurt. The current situation of making Linux developers write different path handling code for Windows vs Linux (or just use str for paths) is painful for some, but not as bad as the other issues I want to fix.

Cheers,