On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 1:27 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. It would somehow need to be recognized as "not iterable". I'm not
> sure how this detection is done; is it based on the presence/absence
> of __iter__, or is it by calling that method and seeing what comes
> back? If the latter, then sure, an __iter__ that raises would cover
> that.

The detection of not hashable via __hash__ set to None was necessary, but
not desirable. Better to have never defined the method/attribute in the
first place. Since __iter__ isn't present on ``object``, we're free to use
the better technique of not defining __iter__ rather than defining it as
None, NotImplemented, etc. This is superior, because we don't want __iter__
to show up in a dir(), help(), or other tools.