On 09/06/2016 11:15 AM, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
On 06.09.2016 18:32, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

If your only argument is to continue to insist that Python should have a
shuffled() function and you'll write a patch, it will go no where. First
you have to convince people that the patch is needed.

He already convinced some people. Just not some venerable Python devs,
 which doesn't necessarily mean something at all.

It means it's not going to happen.

Their response: "Oh, I don't need it, let's close it."
Arek: "But I need it."

So, who's right now?

Everyone:

- if the python devs say it doesn't need to be in the stdlib, it's
   not going in.
- if Arek (or anyone) needs it, then Arek (and those who need it)
   can write it and put it in their own personal utility library.

I would suggest not being so protective. It's community project after all.

No, it isn't.  It is Guido's project.

 Maybe, the patch will help him understand that it's not so easy, or other
 people will see the benefit after reading it. If the patch isn't worth
 including, he learned something in the process of creating it.

Sure.  The point is simply that writing and submitting a patch does not grant
automatic acceptance.

--
~Ethan~