On 2016-09-09 21:01, Arek Bulski wrote:
Sometimes I find myself in need of this nice operator that I used back
in the days when I was programming in .NET, essentially an expression

expr ?? instead

should return expr when it `is not None` and `instead` otherwise.

A piece of code that I just wrote, you can see a use case:

    def _sizeof(self, context):
        if self.totalsizeof is not None:
            return self.totalsizeof
        else:
            raise SizeofError("cannot calculate size")

With the oprator it would just be

    def _sizeof(self, context):
        return self.totalsizeof ?? raise SizeofError("cannot calculate
size")

'raise' is a statement, so it can't appear in an expression.

This has been discussed before, so you might want to read this thread first:

Null coalescing operators
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-September/036289.html