On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM, João Matos <jcrma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to suggest adding a clear command (not function) to Python.
> It's simple purpose would be to clear the REPL screen, leaving the >>>
> prompt at the top left of the screen.
>
> This is something very basic but also very useful for newbies learning
> Python from the REPL.
> After some trial and errors it is best to start with a clean screen.
> Clearing the screen helps clear your mind.

I'm not sure that it _is_ helpful, given that you're starting with a
clean screen but not restarting the session (so you'll still have all
the state from your previous work). If you want a completely fresh
start, just exit Python, clear the screen with a shell command, and
re-enter.

The easiest way to play around with this would be to create a pure
Python clear() function in your usercustomize or sitecustomize, and
then try it in your own workflow - see whether it annoys you that it
doesn't change the interpreter state. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

ChrisA