On 09/17/2016 03:14 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:

Just like Python will use the defined __ne__ if
it's present, or fall back to negating the result of __eq__ if __ne__ is
not present, I see __divmod__ working the same way:

- is __mod__ present? use it
- is __floordiv__ present? use it
- otherwise, use __divmod__ and return the needed piece

I'm pretty sure __div__ should not fall back to __divmod__.

How does __mod__ fall back to __floordiv__? I'm lost.

Oops, sorry.  Got my directions reversed when thinking about how __div__ should
fit in.

Bird's eye view: if the exact method needed is present, use it; otherwise if a
fallback method is available, use that.

Currently this is done for __ne__ --> not __eq__, and I seem to remember
another case or two that was talked about but I don't remember what they were and
I'm not sure if they got implemented to follow the fallback pattern.

--
~Ethan~