On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:24:47PM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> >>Heh--not to bikeshed, but my personal preference is to leave the
> >>trailing space on the first line.  This is because by the time I've
> >>started a new line (and possibly have spent time fussing with
> >>indentation for the odd cases that my editor doesn't get quite right)
> >>I'll have forgotten that I need to start the line with a space :)
>
> I agree that the first version of the example, with space after 'very',
> before the quote, is better.

I used to think the same, until I got sick and tired of having my code
output strings like:

    a very very verylong value that continues on the next line

I learned the hard way that if I don't put the breaking space at the
beginning of the next fragment, I probably wouldn't put it at the end of
the previous fragment either.

YMMV, I'm just reporting what works for me.