On 16 October 2016 at 04:36, INADA Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
[Serhiy wrote]

>> Are there precedences of combining verbose and version options in other
>> programs?
>>

> No, I was just afraid about other programs rely on format of python -V.

That would be my concern as well - while I can't *name* any specific
projects that use "python -V" to extract version info (e.g. for
filename generation based on MAJOR.MINOR), it's still the obvious
thing to call if you need that info and aren't already writing in
Python yourself.

>> I think it would not be large breakage if new releases of CPython become
>> outputting extended version information by default.
>
> I like it if it's OK.
> Does anyone against this?

I think adding "verbose version" is a good idea, with a clear and
reasonably obvious meaning.

While it *is* a little unusual to implement it that way, I don't think
that's sufficient reason to break with the established output format
for the plain "-V".

Cheers,
Nick.