It was not my intention to declare those to be similar, just as a
furthering train of thought. I agree that using "as" is a much more
Pythonic syntax. I'm sure there was (and will be) some discussion as to
whether it should operate like "if foo:" or "if foo is not None:". I'll
look a bit further into the archives than I did to find previous
discussions. For now, I'm a fan of:

if get_foo() as foo:
    bar(foo)

to replace the "if foo:" version: