It's in the code. See longobject.c:

Py_SIZE(v) = ndigits*sign;

You can also see Py_SIZE(v) used on PyLongs all over the place in
longobject.c, for example:

    v = (PyLongObject *)vv;
    i = Py_SIZE(v);

Just do a ctrl-f for Py_SIZE(v) in longobject.c. Like I said, by looking in
the implementation I was able to figure out that Py_SIZE is interpreted as
the sign times the number of digits (unless I'm missing something), but
this should be in the docs IMO.