On 11/6/2016 2:18 AM, Ram Rachum wrote:

Well, you think it's weird that I want a `finally` clause to not be
called in some circumstances. Do you think it's equally weird to want an
`__exit__` method that is not called in some circumstances?

Without a deeper understanding of why you want to do so, I would. The automatic exit cleanup typically the main purpose of a context manager and 'with' block. If, for instance, I want a file only maybe closed, I would just call 'open' instead of 'with open' and then conditionally (with 'if' or 'try') call 'close'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy