On 28 November 2016 at 13:28, Tomas Orsava <tors...@redhat.com> wrote:
> The ``.missing.py`` extension will be added to the end of the list, and
> configured to be handled by ``SourceFileLoader``.  Thus, if a module is not
> found in its proper location, the ``XYZ.missing.py`` file is found and
> executed, and further locations are not searched.

Am I right to think that if a user had a file tkinter.missing.py in
the current directory, then they'd get that in preference to the
stdlib tkinter? Obviously this is no different from having a
tkinter.py file in that directory, so it's not like this is a major
problem, but it might be worth pointing out this minor
incompatibility.

Also, and possibly more of an issue, use of the ".missing.py" file
will mean that a user can't provide their own implementation of the
module later on sys.path. I don'rt know if this is a significant issue
on Unix platforms. On Windows, there is a 3rd party implementation of
the curses module which (as I understand it) can be user installed. If
Python included a curses.missing.py, that would no longer work.

Certainly these are only minor points, but worth considering.

Paul