Paul Moore writes:

 > The debate here regarding tuple/frozenset indicates that there may not
 > be a "standard way" of hashing an iterable (should order matter?).

If part of the data structure, yes, if an implementation accident, no.

 > Although I agree that assuming order matters is a reasonable
 > assumption to make in the absence of any better information.

I don't think so.  Eg, with dicts now ordered by insertion, an
order-dependent default hash for collections means

    a = {}
    b = {}
    a['1'] = 1
    a['2'] = 2
    b['2'] = 2
    b['1'] = 1
    hash(a) != hash(b)    # modulo usual probability of collision

(and modulo normally not hashing mutables).  For the same reason I
expect I'd disagree with Neil's proposal for an ImmutableWhatever
default __hash__ although the hash comparison is "cheap", it's still a
pessimization.  Haven't thought that through, though.

BTW, it occurs to me that now that dictionaries are versioned, in some
cases it *may* make sense to hash dictionaries even though they are
mutable, although the "hash" would need to somehow account for the
version changing.  Seems messy but maybe someone has an idea?