<turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp>:
> The point of this, I suppose, is that piping to xargs works by
> default.

Please read the second version (latest) version of my PEP 540 which
contains a new "Use Cases" section which helps to define issues and
the behaviour of the different modes.

> I haven't read the PEPs (don't have time, mea culpa), but my ideal
> would be three options:
>
>     --transparent ->  errors=surrogateescape on input and output
>     --postel ->  errors=surrogateescape on input, =strict on output
>     --unicode-me-harder ->  errors=strict on input and output

PEP 540:

--postel is the default
--transparent is the UTF-8 mode
--unicode-me-harder is the UTF-8 configured to strict

The POSIX locale enables --transparent.

> with --postel being default.  Unix afficianados with lots of xargs use
> can use --transparent.  Since people have different preferences, I
> guess there should be an envvar for this.

The PEP adds new -X utf8 command line option and PYTHONUTF8
environment variable to configure the UTF-8 mode.

> Others probably should configure open() by open().

My PEP 540 does change the encoding used by open() by default:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/#encoding-and-error-handler

Obviously, you can still explicitly set the encoding when calling open().

> I'll try to get to the PEPs over the weekend but can't promise.

Please read at least the abstract of my PEP 540 ;-)

Victor