> For some reason it's not configured: (...)

Ok, thanks for the information.

> I'm not sure why that's the default inside a chroot.

I found at least one good reason to use the POSIX locale to build a
package: it helps to get reproductible builds, see:
https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/locales/

I used it as an example in my new rationale:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/#it-s-not-a-bug-you-must-fix-your-locale-is-not-an-acceptable-answer

I tried to explain how using LANG=C can be a smart choice in some
cases, and so that Python 3 should do its best to not annoy the user
with Unicode errors.

I also started to list cases where you get the POSIX locale "by
mistake". As I wrote previously, I'm not sure that it's correct to add
"by mistake".
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0540/#posix-locale-used-by-mistake

By the way, I tried to force the POSIX locale in my benchmarking
"perf" module. The idea is to get more reproductible results between
heterogeneous computers. But I got a bug report. So I decided to copy
the locale by default and add an opt-in --no-locale option to ignore
the locale (force the POSIX locale).
https://github.com/haypo/perf/issues/15

Victor