On 10/01/17 01:44, Simon Lovell wrote:
Regarding the logical inconsistency of my argument, well I am saying
that I would prefer my redundancy at the end of the loop rather than the
beginning. To say that the status quo is better is to say that you
prefer your redundancy at the beginning.

It's not really that one prefers redundancy anywhere. It's more a question of:

a) Does the redundancy have any (however small) benefit?
b) How "expensive" is the redundancy (in this case, that equates to mandatory characters typed and subsequent screen noise when reading the code).

I don't understand how a "redundancy" of a trailing colon in any statement that will introduce a new level of indentation is worse than having to remember to type "end<statement>" when a dedent (which is zero characters) does that.

Trailing colon "cost": 1 * (0.n)
Block end "cost": (len("end") + len(statement_text)) * 1.0

I still struggle to see why it should be
mandatory though?

That looks like a statement, but you've ended it with a question mark. Are you asking if you still struggle? I can't tell. Perhaps it's just the correct use of punctuation that you're objecting to ;)

> One more comment I wanted to make about end blocks, is that a
> respectable editor will add them for you,

You are now asking me to write code with what you describe as a "respectable" editor. I use vim, which is very respectable, thank you. You'd like me to use "EditPlus 2" or equivalent. I struggle to see why that should be mandatory.

Thanks for starting an entertaining thread, though ;)

E.