On 01/25/2017 04:33 PM, Todd wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com
<mailto:encu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 01/25/2017 04:04 PM, Todd wrote:

        On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
        <turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp
        <mailto:turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp>
        <mailto:turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp
        <mailto:turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp>>> wrote:

            I'm just going to let fly with the +1s and -1s, don't take
        them too
            seriously, they're basically impressionistic (I'm not a huge
        user of
            pathlib yet).

            Todd writes:

             > So although the names are tentative, perhaps there could be a
            "fullsuffix"
             > property to return the extensions as a single string,

            -0      '.'.join(p.suffixes) vs. p.fullsuffix?  TOOWTDI says
        no.  I
                    also don't really see the use case.

        The whole point of pathlib is to provide convenience functions for
        common path-related operations.  It is full of methods and
        properties
        that could be implemented other ways.

        Dealing with multi-part extensions, at least for me, is extremely
        common.  A ".tar.gz" file is not the same as a ".tar.bz2" or a
        ".svg.gz".  When I want to find a ".tar.gz" file, having to deal
        with
        the ".tar" and ".gz" parts separately is nothing but a
        nuisance.  If I
        want to find and extract ".rar" files, I don't want ".part1.rar"
        files,
        ".part2.rar" files, and so on.  So for me dealing with the
        extension as
        a single unit, rather than individual parts, is the most common
        approach.

    But what if the .tar.gz file is called "spam-4.2.5-final.tar.gz"?
    Existing tools like glob and endswith() can deal with the ".tar.gz"
    extension reliably, but "fullsuffix" would, arguably, not give the
    answers you want.

I wouldn't use it in that situation.  The existing "suffix" and "stem"
properties also only work reliably under certain situations.

Which situations do you mean? It works quite fine with multiple suffixes:
The suffix of "pip-9.0.1.tar.gz" is ".gz", and sure enough, you can reasonably expect it's a gz-compressed file. If you uncompress it and strip the extension, you'll end up with a "pip-9.0.1.tar", where the suffix is ".tar" -- and humans would be surprised if it wasn't a tar archive.

The function can't determine what a particular human would think of as the full (or "real") suffix in a particular situation -- but I wouldn't call it unreliable.

    Perhaps more specialized tools would be useful, though, for example:
        repacked_path = original_path.replace_suffix(".tar.gz", ".zip")

That is helpful if I want to rename, not if I want to (for example)
uncompress a file.

Something like this?
    uncompressed = original_path.replace_suffix(".tar.gz", "")