I would love to show how easy it is to write

from math import pi as π, gamma as Γ

but I had to cheat by copying from the OP since I don't know how to type
these (and even if you were to tell me how I'd forget tomorrow). So, I am
still in favor of the rule "only ASCII in the stdlib".

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2 June 2017 at 12:17, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What you are think about adding Unicode aliases for some mathematic
>>> names in the math module? ;-)
>>>
>>> math.π = math.pi
>>> math.τ = math.tau
>>> math.Γ = math.gamma
>>> math.ℯ = math.e
>>>
>>> Unfortunately we can't use ∞, ∑ and √ as identifiers. :-(
>>>
>>> [...]
>> * duplicated aliases might make sense if they add readability; in this
>> case they don't unless (maybe) you have a mathematical background. I can
>> infer what "math.gamma" stands for but not being a mathematician math.Γ
>> makes absolutely zero sense to me.
>>

> There is a significant number of scientific Python programmers (21%
> according to PyCharm 2016), so it is not that rare to meet someone who
> knows what is Gamma function.
> And for many of them π is much more readable than np.pi. Also there is
> another problem, confusion between Gamma function and Euler–Mascheroni
> constant, the first one is Γ,
> the second one is γ (perfectly opposite to PEP 8 capitalization rules :-),
> while both of them are frequently denoted as just gamma (in particular
> math.gamma follows the PEP8 rules,
> but is counter-intuitive for most scientist).
>
> All that said, I agree that these problems are easily solved by a custom
> import from. Still there is something in (or related to?) this proposal
> I think is worth considering: Can we also allow identifiers like ∫ or √.
> This will make many expressions more similar to usual TeX,
> plus it will be useful for projects like SymPy.
>
> --
> Ivan

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)