On 4 June 2017 at 05:02, Dan Sommers <d...@tombstonezero.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 17:45:43 +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 at 15:56 Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I would love to show how easy it is to write
>>>
>>> from math import pi as π, gamma as Γ
>
> [...]
>
>>> but I had to cheat by copying from the OP since I don't know how to type
>>> these (and even if you were to tell me how I'd forget tomorrow). So, I am
>>> still in favor of the rule "only ASCII in the stdlib".
>>
>> Since this regularly comes up, why don't we add a note to the math module
>> that you can do the above import(s) to bind various mathematical constants
>> to their traditional symbol counterparts? ...
>
> Because in order to add that note to the math module, you have to
> violate the "only ASCII in the stdlib" rule.  ;-)

The ASCII-only restriction in the standard library is merely "all
public APIs will use ASCII-only identifiers", rather than "We don't
allow the use of Unicode anywhere" (Several parts of the documentation
would be rather unreadable if they were restricted to ASCII
characters).

However, clarifying that made me realise we've never actually written
that down anywhere - it's just been an assumed holdover from the fact
that Python 2.7 is still being supported, and doesn't allow for
Unicode identifiers in the first place.

https://github.com/python/peps/pull/285 is a PR to explicitly document
the standard library API restriction in the "Names to Avoid" part of
PEP 8.

Cheers,
Nick.