On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 06:29:05AM -0400, Juancarlo Añez wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Ken Kundert <python-id...@shalmirane.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That is the problem.  To write the error handler, I need the misspelled
> > name.
> > The only way to get it is to extract it from the error message. The need to
> > unpack information that was just packed suggests that the packing was done
> > too
> > early.  That is my point.
> >

>    1. You can pass an object with all the required information and an
>    appropriate __str__() method to the exception constructor.

Playing Devil's Advocate, or in this case, Ken's Advocate, I don't think
that's a useful approach. Think of it from the perspective of the
caller, who catches the exception. They have no way of forcing the
callee (the code being called) to use that custom object with the
appropriate __str__ method, so they can't rely on it:

try:
    something()
except NameError as err:
    msg = err.args[0]
    if hasattr(msg, 'name'):
        name = msg.name
    else:
        # extract using a regex or similar...
        name = ...

which doesn't seem very friendly. And who says that this custom object
with a custom __str__ actually uses 'name' as part of its API? I might
be extracting a completely different attribute unrelated to the failed
name lookup.

I think Ken is right that *if* this problem is worth solving, we should
solve it in BaseException (or at least StandardException), and not leave
it up to individual users to write their own mutually incompatible APIs
for extracting the name from NameError.