On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Jason H <jh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the insights.
> I don't think it would be that breaking:
>
> def remap_map(a1, a2):
>   if hasattr(a1, '__call__'):
>     return map(a1, a2)
>   elif hasattr(a2, '__call__'):
>     return map(a2,a1)
>   else:
>     raise NotCallable # Exception neither is callable

I think it's better to be parsimonious and adhere to the "there is one way
to do it" design principle. On the matter of style, map with a lambda is
more pleasing as `(expr-x for x in iterable)` rather than `map(lambda x:
expr-x, iterable)`. If you need to handle multiple iterables, they can be
zip'd.

> I'm rather surprised that there isn't a Iterable class which dict and list
> derive from.
> If that were added to just dict and list, I think it would cover 98% of
> cases, and adding Iterable would be reasonable in the remaining scenarios.

For checking, there's `collections.abc.Iterable` and neighbors that can
look at the interface easily, but I don't think the C-implemented, built-in
types spring from them.

Nick