On 04.11.2017 12:35, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:25 PM,  <tds...@mailbox.org> wrote:
I suggest to change this to increment the major version for every new release
of the 1,5 year cycle.
And allow new Python standard library backward compatible changes for every
minor release cycle every 6 months.

The usual implication of a major version bump is that there is
significant incompatibility. That's something that should happen
roughly once a decade, not every couple of years. Massive -1.0 from me
on this.

Yes that implication is a possible risk. I will add it to the section
if needed.

As noted by Guido a ground breaking change as it happened from version 2 to 3 should never happen in Python land again and a possible version 4 will simply be after 3.9.
Other languages increment their major version already faster and track
the language standard simply with the major version.

The major version should be incremented for a ground breaking change
but an increment requires not a ground breaking change to do this.

For me even adding new keywords to a language is a major change.
(Such as async and await)
Or changes in the C API.
And talking about language standard version 4 is simpler than a
more complicated scheme of major.minor.
Also other implementations such as pypy can use this first version
number in their name to show compatibility.
(pypy4 compatible to Python )

I think if the changes happens it will take some time for people to
adjust but then life will be simpler. :-)

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Wolfgang