On 16 November 2017 at 05:29, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+py...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org>
> wrote:
> > My preferred solution for this is to rename "py.exe" to "python.exe" (or
> > rather, make a copy of it with the new name), and extend (or more likely,
> > rewrite) the launcher such that:
> >
> > * if argv[0] == "py.exe", use PEP 514 company/tag resolution to find and
> > launch Python based on first command line argument
> > * if argv[0] == "python<numeric tag>.exe", find the matching
> > PythonCore/<tag> install (where tag may be a partial match - e.g.
> > "python3.exe" finds the latest PythonCore/3.x)
> > * else, if argv[0] == "<module><numeric tag>.exe, find the matching
> > PythonCore/<tag> install and launch "-m <module>"
> >
> > With the launcher behaving like this, we can make as many hard links as
> we
> > want in its install directory (it only gets installed once, so only needs
> > one PATH entry, and this is C:\Windows for admin installs):
> > * python.exe
> > * python2.exe
> > * python3.exe
> > * python3.6.exe
> > * pip.exe
> > * pip2.exe
> > * pip3.exe
>
> I haven't been following this thread closely, but this sounds lovely.
> I'm not terribly keen on cluttering up C:\Windows with this, but
> that's a minor issue.

I'd missed Steve's post before writing my last one. This sounds like a
really nice technical solution to me, too, especially as it will handle
Python 2 as well (even for Python 2 only systems, the launcher is available
as an independently installable executable).

Regardless of the underlying implementation details though, a PEP would be
a helpful way of writing it up so we can make sure packaging.python.org and
other resources properly account for it.

Cheers,
Nick.