> The question is rather: how often does web-XXX mojibake happen?

Very often. Particularly web-1252 mixed up with UTF-8.

My ftfy library is tested on data from Twitter and the Common Crawl, both
prime sources of mojibake. One common mojibake sequence is when a right
curly quote is encoded as UTF-8 and decoded as codepage 1252. In Python's
official windows-1252, this would at best be "�", using the 'replace'
error handler. In web-1252, this would be "â€\x9d". The web-1252 version is
more common.

Of course, since Python itself is widespread, there is some survivorship
bias here. Another thing you could get instead of "�" is your code
crashing.