On 03/23/2018 07:38 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 3:58 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Christoph Groth wrote:

But wouldn't it be a good alternative to PEP 572 to *add* an assignment
operator that is an expression to Python, and is distinct from "=", for
example ":="?

I also think it's fair to at least reconsider adding inline assignment, with
the "traditional" semantics (possibly with mandatory parentheses). This
would be easier to learn and understand for people who are familiar with it
from other languages (C++, Java, JavaScript).

Thank you; both of these have now been incorporated into the document.

I'm certainly hoping PEP 572 is rejected so we can have a follow-up PEP that only deals with the assignment-as-expression portion.

No offense intended, Chris! :) In fact, maybe you could write that one too, and then have an accepted PEP to your name? ;)

--
~Ethan~