06.05.18 09:53, Yuval Greenfield пише:
I often need to reference a script's current directory. I end up writing:

    import os
    SRC_DIR = os.path.dirname(__file__)

But I would prefer to have a new dunder for that. I propose: "__dir__". I was wondering if others would find it convenient to include such a shortcut.

Here are some examples of dirname(__file__) in prominent projects.

https://github.com/tensorflow/models/search?l=Python&q=dirname&type=
https://github.com/django/django/search?l=Python&q=dirname&type=
https://github.com/nose-devs/nose/search?l=Python&q=dirname&type=

Reasons not to add __dir__:
* There already is one way to do it and it's clear and fairly short..
* Avoid the bikeshed discussion of __dir__, __folder__, and other candidates.

* Additional burden on maintainers of import machinery. It is already too complex, and __file__ is set in multiple places. Don't forgot about third-party implementations.

See also issue33277: "Deprecate __loader__, __package__, __file__, and __cached__ on modules" (https://bugs.python.org/issue33277).

* More complex user code, because you have to handle different cases:

  - __file__ is set, but __dir__ is not set.
  - __file__ and __dir__ are set, but are not consistent.

Reasons to add it:

Are you aware of importlib.resources?

https://docs.python.org/3.7/whatsnew/3.7.html#importlib-resources