On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Robert Vanden Eynde <
robertvandeney...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that a big python library is more close to the standard python lib
> than matlab. However, helping transition from matlab is a great concern in
> the python scientific community, because matlab is used is a lot of
> engineering classes at University.
>
> That's a tough call hmmm.

not really -- if you are moving from matlab to python, you are going to be
using numpy and scipy -- we really don't need to spell similar
functionality differently than scipy does.

In regard to the "special values", and exact results -- a good math lib
should return results that are "exact" in all but maybe the last digit
stored. So you could check inputs and outputs with, e.g. math.isclose() to
give people the "exact" results. -- and keep it all in floating point.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov