On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 8:58 PM, Matt Arcidy <marc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like the very small percentage of academic users whose careers
> depend on this cannot resolve the political issue of forming a standards
> body.
>
> I don't see how externalizing the standard development will help.  Kudos
> for shortcutting the process in a practical way to just get it done,  but
> this just puts core devs in the middle of silly academic spats.  A language
> endorsed citation method isn't a 'correct' method, and without the broad
> consensus that currently doesn't exist, this becomes _your_ method, a
> picked winner but ultimately a lightning rod for bored tenured professors
> with personal axes to grind.  If this were about implementing an existing
> correct method I'm sure a grad student would be tasked with it for an
> afternoon.

[...]  Just create a jstor style git server where obeying the citation
> protocol is mandatory.

I don't know if it constitutes a standards body, but there are a couple
journals out there that are meant to serve as mechanisms for turning a repo
into a published/citable thing, they might be good to look at for prior art
as well as to what metadata should be included:

* https://www.journals.elsevier.com/softwarex/

>From an abstract level, however, citing code requires that it's published
in some form, which is very strongly related to packaging, so I think such
discussions would best revolve around there. Maybe rolling something into
pkg_resources that could pull out a short citation string from some package
metadata (a hypothetical `pkg_resources.get_distribution("numpy").citation`
that could be wrapped by some helper function if desired)? The actual
mechanism to convert metadata into something in the repo (a dunder cite
string in the root module, a separate metadata file, etc.) into the package
metadata isn't as important as rolling said metadata into something part of
the distribution package like the version or long_description fields. Once
the schema of the citation data is defined, you could add it to the
metadata spec (outgrowth of PEP-566)
https://packaging.python.org/specifications/core-metadata/