True, I was not aware of that...
But the thread also predict  OrderedDict will become very unfrequent, and
that's also my impression: we are currently removing our OrderedDict.
I expect OrderedDict will be used only in place where the sequential order
is a primary characteristic, with key access the secondary use pattern.
dict will be used in the opposite context, key are the preffered access and
order is only a secondary charateristic (that's our use case, order is
needed only to make iteration order deterministic).
In this sense, the current repr is imho better: it  emphasize the order
aspect (through the list) while your proposal emphasize the dict aspect.