>From what I’ve seen on this list in my relatively brief time here, this
forum is mostly fine and the participants generally behave like adults. I
don’t read every thread, so maybe I don’t have an accurate picture. From
what I’ve seen, there is the occasional spat, where people just need to
step away from the keyboard for a bit and cool off, but I wouldn’t consider
the environment toxic. That seems like too strong a word.

What I feel we lack are better tools for checking bad behavior and nudging
people in the right direction, apart from having discussions like this.

Temporarily locking threads that have become heated comes to mind. As do
temporary bans for rowdy members. As does closing threads that have ceased
to serve any good purpose.

These things would have been pretty handy in several recent and heated
discussions, including the PEP 505 one I participated in a couple of weeks
ago.

How much of this is possible on a mailing list? I don’t know. But I
remember a year or two ago there was a proposal to move python-ideas to a
different format, perhaps a Discourse forum or similar, which would provide
some handy administration tools and other UX improvements.

That discussion, ironically, was beset by some of the very animosity that
better tooling would help control. (And I learned a bit about email
etiquette and top-posting...)

Maybe we need to revive that discussion? Overall, I don’t think we have a
people problem on this list as much as we have an administration tooling
problem.