> On 9 Dec 2018, at 18:31, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> None of which is that relevant, the fact still remains that no matter
> what algorithm is used, the hash only has limited value as a security
> measure.

That’s true, but it does show that switching from MD5 to SHA2 doesn’t make it
harder to validate the checksum on major platforms.

I don’t have a strong opinion either way, I’m slightly in favour of switching
to the same algorithm as used on PyPI to be consistent within these PSF
properties.

BTW. I wonder how many actually verify these checksums, I personally generally
assume that HTTPS downloads are reliable enough and don’t verify checksums
unless I do the download in an automation pipeline.

Ronald