On 2019-01-29 15:38, Greg Ewing wrote:
Brendan Barnwell wrote:
    Personally what I find is perverse is that .join is a method of
strings but does NOT call str() on the items to be joined.

Neither do most other string methods:

  >>> s = "hovercraft"
  >>> s.count(42)
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly

Why should join() be any different?

Oh please. Because it also RETURNS a string. Of course count won't return a string, it returns a count. But str.join is for "I want to join these items into a single string separated by this delimiter". If the output is to a be a string obtained by combining other items, there is nothing lost by converting them to strings.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."