> As far as I can see, the only downside of this is that it would means a
> new standard dunder, which is a substantial downside, as (I think) it
> essentially adds overhead in all sorts of places, plus ads "One more
> protocol" to a language already ripe with protocols.

I like the __as_mapping__ idea a lot since it leaves it up to the user to
determine how dict() does dict-making. But I understand how the overhead
from adding a single function call could be very significant to something
that is used as often as dict().

What about pairing a __mapping__ method with a mapping() function instead?
mapping() would not need to be a keyword; it might make sense as part of,
perhaps, the types library.

types.mapping() would be significantly slower than dict() only sometimes--
and resource critical code could still rely on dict(). But it would also be
more forgiving. And possibly even more useful (for the reasons I've tried
to do a good job of outlining).