On Jul 9, 2019, at 16:30, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about flipping that around - when you install, have an option to
> say "make this the default" (active by default), and if you untick it,
> it flags the installation as "not the default"? Available only if
> there's an existing default.

Assuming that’s doable without the whole updating-the-launcher issue, why not
make that checkbox inactive by default for prereleases, and only active by
default for final releases? That would do exactly what the OP seems to be
asking for, right?

Is it possible for the installer to see the sys.version_info.releaselevel of
the Python it’s installing? If not, I guess it would require a commit every
release cycle to mark the new version as “no longer prerelease, so enable the
Windows installer checkbox”, but even that doesn’t seem too bad.