On Jul 29, 2019, at 14:49, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> Still I wouldn't call this "a lot worse". What makes you say that?

Not “worse” as in more common, or more dangerous (I don’t know if that’s true
or not), but as in harder to work around.

for…else being confusing and effectively “experts only” just means most people
don’t get to save a line of code and an extra variable—not ideal, but not a
huge problem.

with…except being confusing and effectively “experts only” means that most
people are unable to write correct exception-handling code.

So if this kind of code really is a serious problem, then the proposal doesn’t
solve it; we need a proposal everyone will be able to learn and use. (And if
it’s not a serious problem, then the proposal isn’t needed in the first place.)