> But you haven't made the case for generic string prefixes or any sort
> of "arbitrary literal" that would let you import something that
> registers something to make your float32 literals.

The case can be made as follows: different people use different parts
of the Python language. Andrew would love to see the support for
decimals, fractions and float32s (possibly float16s too, and maybe
even posit numbers). Myself, I miss datetime and regular expression
literals. Other people on the 2013 thread argued at length in favor of
supporting sql-literals, which would allow them to be used in a much
safer manner. Then there are those who want to write complex
numbers in a natural fashion, but they already got their wish granted.

In short, the needs vary, and not all of the functionality belongs to the
python standard library either.