On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 01:24, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 12:35:09AM -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
>
> > Well - the idea showed up here, and got an immediate "that is nice, let's
> > do it" from you, followed by approval from a lot more people, and
> > very little controverse. So, it is pretty much "approved", even if not
> yet
> > detailed in an approved PEP.
>
> As the PEP author, I don't consider it even close to approved. I'm still
> slowly working my way through the next draft of the PEP. There are lots
> of objections and unresolved questions:
>
> - is this feature necessary?
>
> - if so, should it be an operator, a dict method or a function?
>
> - if an operator, should it be spelled ``+`` or ``|`` or something else?
>
> - what precise behaviour should it have?
>
> At the time I wrote the first draft, there was no consensus that the
> feature was necessary, but most people who thought it would be useful
> agreed that ``+`` was the right operator. Since then, further discussion
> seemed to shift closer to consensus that the feature might be useful,
> but away from using ``+``.
> ]

Thank you for the feedback. I will follow the PEP evolution more close now.

And indeed, as we can see, even in a case like this in the thread,  where
the "+"  could have been useful (1) the OP did not think of using it at
all, coming
up with a different approach, and (2) the exiting star-map expansion can do
what "+" would do in this case.

 These would point to that maybe it is not "necessary"
at all. Although I still think it would be a useful feature, and, on that,
maybe keeping
the consistence with the "|" already in use by 'set' would be better.