On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 5:42 AM Rhodri James <rho...@kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> > I'm surprised by that description. I don't think it is just newcomers
>> > who either suggest or prefer plus over pipe, and I don't think that pipe
>> > is "more accurate".
>>
>> +1 (as one of the non-newcomers who prefers plus)
>>

> me too.
>
> frankly, the | is obscure to most of us. And it started as "bitwise or",
> and evokes the __or__ magic method -- so why are we all convinced that
> somehow it's inextricably linked to "set union"? And set union is a bit
> obscure as well -- I don't think that many people (newbies or not) would
> jump right to this logic:

In my particular case I do know what `|` means in a set context. However,
when I see code using it, it takes me a while to understand what it means
and I tend to replace the operator with an explicit call to the union
method.

The only problem with that is when `dict_keys` are in use, as they do
implement the `|` operator, but not the `union` method. They only have
`isdisjoint`.

> I need to put two dicts together
> That's kind of like a set union operation
> The set object uses | for union
> That's probably what dict uses -- I'll give that t try.
>
> Rather than:
>
> I need to put two dicts together
> I wonder if dicts support addition?
> I'll give that a try.
>
> so, I'm
>
> +1 on +
> +0 on |
>
> if | is implemented, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it will get used
> far less than if + were used.
>
> (though some on this thread would think that's a good thing :-) )
>
> -CHB
>

> --
> Christopher Barker, PhD
>
> Python Language Consulting