> Cool. Sounds like
>
> def with_stem(self, new_stem):
>     self.with_name(new_stem + self.suffix)
>
> is the preferred solution. I agree it seems like the right option.
>
> As I said, I don't think it's a big deal either way. A bugs.python.org
> issue with an attached PR implementing (and documenting) this seems
> like the way to go - no big need to debate it. Although it's good that
> we caught the difference in behaviour between the two options - any
> patch adding this should include tests for this particular corner case
> (and any others that you can think of ;-))
>
> Paul

*(Apologies to Paul who is receiving this a second time)*

Seems like the right implementation to me. Does anybody disagree that a bug
report with a PR is the way to move forward on this?

Also: I've filed bug reports before, but I don't think I've ever filed a
bug report with a PR and with tests against core python. Is there a link
that might help with learning the process, with an eye to how to setup and
run the test correctly for the project...? I believe I've already signed
the usage agreement and that sort of thing.