On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 00:16, Martin Euredjian via Python-ideas
<python-ideas@python.org> wrote:
> Sorry, notation is far more powerful.  As I said in one of my other notes,
> people who have not had the unique experience of using something like APL for
> non-trivial development work simply don't get it.

Was your use of APL on a machine with a dedicated APL keyboard? I know
the old IBM terminals had dedicated APL symbol keys. The point has
been made here a few times that typing extended characters reliably is
hard, but you haven't as yet responded to that (as far as I can see).
While I haven't used APL much, I do a reasonable amount of
mathematical writing, and I find that it's frustratingly difficult to
express mathematical ideas on a computer, because the need to find
ways of writing the notation (whether it's by looking up Unicode
symbols, or remembering notation like LaTeX) breaks the flow of ideas.

So while I won't dispute that writing APL may have been highly
productive for you, I'd like to get some information on how much of
that productivity was demonstrated on a system with a conventional
keyboard. Without good evidence that the productivity gains you're
suggesting can be achieved on the input devices that real-world Python
users have available, one of your main arguments in favour of this
change is significantly weakened.

Paul