Stefano Borini <stefano.borini-Re5JQEeQqe8Avxtiu
mw...@public.gmane.org> Wrote in message:r
> This may be a pet peeve of mine, but with the introduction of typehints, more
> and more function definitions have become longer than 80characters. This used
> to seldom happen in the past.The problem, as I see it, is that there seem to
> be a general tendencyto use this way of indenting, e.g. see (among
> many):https://github.com/samuelcolvin/pydantic/blob/c71326d4a6898612597d3c647a4256f168818e30/pydantic/parse.py#L47def
>  load_file(    path: Union[str, Path],    *,    content_type: str = None,
> encoding: str = 'utf8',    proto: Protocol = None,    allow_pickle: bool =
> False,) -> Any:    path = Path(path)    b = path.read_bytes()    if
> content_type is None:        if path.suffix in ('.js', '.json'):
> proto = Protocol.json        elif path.suffix == '.pkl':            proto =
> Protocol.pickleThis violates pep8# Add 4 spaces (an extra level of
> indentation) to distinguisharguments from the rest.def long_function_name(
>     var_one, var_two, var_three,        var_four):    print(va
 r_one)However, no coding styles tools report that. Flake8 does howeverreport a
similar error for if conditions        if path.suffix in (            '.js',
'.json'            ):            proto = Protocol.jsonx.py:20:5: E125
continuation line with same indent as next logical lineBut says nothing for
this monstrosity, which is the equivalent of theopening case        if
path.suffix in (            '.js', '.json'        ):            proto =
Protocol.jsonIt is not my intention to trigger a massive discussion. My stance
isthat the appropriate visual aspect of the above code should bedef load_file(
      path: Union[str, Path],        *,        content_type: str = None,
encoding: str = 'utf8',        proto: Protocol = None,        allow_pickle:
bool = False) -> Any:    path = Path(path)    b = path.read_bytes()to keep a
visual distinction in indentation between the argument listand the function
body, as in the spirit of pep8.Regardless of the choice, I think that pep8
should be
  updated with theappropriate style for this specific
case, and style tools shouldenforce this choice.-- Kind regards,Stefano
Borini_______________________________________________Python-ideas mailing list
python-ideas-leave-+ZN9ApsXKcEdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.orghttps://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-ideas.python.org/Message
 archived at
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/XKEWGJGXMANMYK37FRSJJ7IU67YUNFHC/Code
 of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

PEP 8 is the stdlib style guide, and the type annotations are not
 used in the stdib.