I'm torn -- on the one hand, these very old modules may as well stay frozen
in time (please double check that they aren't listed in PEP 594). On the
other hand, for modules that are still actively maintained, the exception
may as well be named Error instead of error, and a rename of error -> Error
plus a new alias error = Error should take care of those. I don't recommend
a deprecation of the old names though -- this feels like a really minimal
maintenance burden for core devs, and potentially a big one for people
using the old names.

Some more tips: please use a separate PR per module; please update all docs
(both mentions of the exception in the module's comments and docstrings,
and the library docs); check that there are no *other* classes in a module
that also use a lowercase naming convention (if there are, that module
needs more thought before we change just the exception name).

It may also be a good idea to create bugs for each module with a brief
description and tagging it as "Easy" or "Easy (C)" (if there's C code
involved).

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:02 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I notice that most(all?) of those are from pretty old modules, which
> explains the "old", pre PEP-8 names.
>
> I think it would be good to clean this up with a set of aliases -- but it
> is a fair bit of code-churn for not much real gain. I guess it comes down
> to:
>
> - How much maintenance do those modules see anyway? Are they changing
> much, if at all between recent versions?
>
> - How often to "end users" use them -- as opposed to using high level
> packages on top of them? What I'm getting at here is that it's a lot more
> important that a newbie or casual scripter gets consistent names than for
> package maintainers.
>
> -CHB
>

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:32 PM Matthias Bussonnier <
> bussonniermatth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for pointing those out.
>>
>> At least when the alias is `error = OtherName`  the text is the stack
>> trace are informative.
>> --
>> Message archived at
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/JSHM7FGTJA7CSCUVZFLKYYFMS3DU7NKB/
>>

> --
> Christopher Barker, PhD
>
> Python Language Consulting
>   - Teaching
>   - Scientific Software Development
>   - Desktop GUI and Web Development
>   - wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/USDR4AFSJYDPE4GK5MUZQ6JBJ3U2X3KA/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>