On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 01:15, Tim Peters <tim.pet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's fair enough, although rather than "wrong" I'd say more that it's
> inappropriately applying design principles that work well in most of
> Python's libraries to an area where they don't.  The very fact that
> half the itertools docs are devoted to "recipes" kinda suggests it
> knows it's leaving its intended audience hanging ;-)

I'm with Tim on pretty much everything he's said in this thread.

> I do like functional languages, and always have, so it seems to fall
> on me here to advocate for what those weirdos value.  In part, no, the
> itertools namespace is not a precious resource that must be vigilantly
> minimized ;-)

I'm also fond of functional languages. Just because Tim argues so
eloquently, doesn't mean he's the only one who feels like this :-)

Not having first() won't ruin any of my code, but having it would
definitely remove one of the "speed bumps" I occasionally hit when
writing scripts. (The same is true of many of the itertools recipes,
BTW).

Paul