An idea I haven't seen anyone suggest:

Since testing for nan can be expensive, maybe it would make sense to
provide a statistics.median_unsafe(), or perhaps median_fast(), method with
the current implementation (for situations where a slow down isn't
acceptable), and update the median() function to include the most
reliable/comprehensive testing for nan?

If this were desirable it might also make sense to provide other, similar
misbehaving *_unsafe or *_fast methods as well.