Anyone can define their own singleton easily enough. None is unique because
it's the only built-in general-purpose singleton, and it's too late to
change that.

I have to agree with Andrew here: in a brand new language it might be a
good idea to have a unique exception to be raised for (most) operations not
defined on None. But retrofitting this into Python would be too awkward,
and it's not worth breaking backward compatibility.

(Not even in Python 4.0. :-)

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 6:29 PM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not sure I like this idea at all, honestly, but:
>
> Maybe one of the issues we have is that None is used for multiple things
> in Python. It’s always some version of “nothing”, but what it specifically
> means depends on context.
>
> For instance, it pretty much always means “use default for keyword” when
> used as:
>
> def fun(x, y=None):
>     If y is None:
>         y = []
>
> But it can mean other, somewhat subtler things as well, like totally not
> defined (as opposed to default)
>
> So if it is useful to have a “raising not defined” that had a more
> specific meaning, maybe a new Singleton is in order:
>
> NotDefined, maybe?
>
> Then we could give it specific behavior without breaking any code that
> already uses None.
>
> Though I’m not the least bit convinced that the current None behavior is
> too limiting anyway.
>
> -CHB
>

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Soni L. <fakedme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2020-03-02 4:03 p.m., Andrew Barnert wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2020, at 09:26, Soni L. <fakedme...@gmail.com>
>> <fakedme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2020-03-02 2:04 p.m., Andrew Barnert wrote:

>> So every function in every type implemented in C or in Python, whether
>> part of Python or third-party, that has code like this:
>>

>>     if not isisntance(arg, numbers.Integral):
>>
>>         raise TypeError(f"can only spam integers, not '{arg!r}'")
>>

>> … has to change to test if arg is None and raise a different error.
>> Otherwise, you’re not going to catch the error from + in your example if
>> g.foo(h) is None.
>>

>> None can have __radd__ or whatnot as well, no? (read: please don't
>> directly raise TypeError, [redacted].)
>>

>> That will help some types, but not all, with +.
>>
>> But, more importantly, that only helps with (reversible) operators. It
>> does nothing for int(x) raising TypeError when x is not
>> string/byteslike/number/something with __int__. Or when it doesn’t meet the
>> (different) requirements for the first or the second argument of
>> int.from_bytes. And so on for a bunch of other methods and class methods.
>> And that’s just one type; the same is true for lots of other types, and
>> plain old functions—hundreds just in the builtins, zillions in third-party
>> code.
>>
>> The fact that you have a partial solution for a tiny subset of the
>> problem doesn’t help. If you want to make all operations that raise
>> TypeError on None instead raise NoneError, you need to come up with a way
>> to do that, and I don’t see any way that doesn’t involve rewriting zillions
>> of lines of code both in Python itself and in third-party libraries and
>> applications.
>>
>> > which should be a TypeError for backwards compatibility.
>>

>> But the most common errors caused by not checking for None are
>> AttributeError. If you turn these into a subclass of TypeError, that won’t
> [...]

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>