On Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 19:31, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> >I *think* I understand the issues. And I can see that some software would
> >need to work with filenames as arbitrary bytes. But that doesn't mean that
> >you can do much with them that way.
>
> Given that the entire UNIX filename API is bytes, I think this isn't
> very true.

Most real-world UNIX systems only support ASCII-compatible encodings. There's
no reason not to solve the problem on such systems by using os.fsdecode().

On those few that do not (of which I don't know if any support *both* ASCII and
non-ASCII-compatible encodings in locales - from what I can find, those that
don't use ASCII-compatible encodings tend to exclusively use EBCDIC ones) I
don't know how they handle these cases, or if python even supports any of them
at all, but it seems likely that b'/' will not be the same byte as the path
separator.